Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A stranger in these parts...

At the moment, it is Council Collection week in my neighbourhood. Essentially, it is Council's way of trying to get people to clean up around their house and yards and throw away rubbish.

So people go around their house collecting items they no longer need/want/use (no matter whether they're broken or not), haul them out to the kerb and leave them there until the Council truck comes around to collect. However, what usually happens is once items have been left on the kerbs, the scanvengers emerge to take items that may not be broken or could be of use in their household (this is why my Dad calls Council Collection week, Re-distribution of the Wealth week).

I am as guilty as the next person of scavenging, once collecting an awesome wardrobe and this time around I scored two wooden chairs that I'll sand back and paint.

And scavenging during Council Collection week is not the best part. The best part is seeing the weird and wonderful things that people have in their houses. For example, on Sunday, my boyfriend and I came home to find that someone was throwing out a 70's style bed head, complete with built in radio and lights. It was gone the next day, so I guess somebody else thought it was pretty cool too.

I didn't think anything would top that, but, when I arrived home from work last night, I saw this perched upon a discarded box...


A mannequin!! As in, "Level 3 - Men's Wear" department store mannequin.
Where does one get a mannequin from? What does one need with a mannequin?

What is the strangest thing you have seen discarded on the side of the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment