Saturday, June 13, 2009

Duck Tales

This afternoon, my boyfriend and I thought it would be a nice idea to go for a walk in our neighbourhood. We decided to stroll down to the creek to feed the rather large family of ducks and geese that live there.

So it was shoes on and away we went...


Watching the ducks through the reeds

As I was feeding the ducks and geese, my boyfriend went exploring a little bit further downstream. The ducks and geese were most enthustiastic when they discovered I was going to feed them and they all began to swim closer to me.


Just some of the family that live near the creek

Before I go any further, I should give you all a little insight... I'm scared of ducks and geese. Now when they're in the water and not really near me, they don't bother me. It's when they get close and I can't tell what they're going to do next, that I start to get a little nervous. It all stems from a number of incidents in my childhood involving the ducks at Tarong Zoo and a bucket of chips and the geese at the Gold Mining Museum in Gympie). I also don't have much luck when it comes to feeding animals (there was also an incident at Alma Park Zoo and the deer).

Well, I was happily feeding away, when the geese decided that I wasn't feeding fast enough and they got out of the water and began coming towards me at a great rate of knots. That was enough for me. I quickly got rid of the rest of the bread and hightailed it out of pecking range.


The big, scary geese

Next time, I think I'll feed them from the bridge, not down on the banks, that way they can't come get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment